Wednesday, May 16, 2012



Look I can sew!  Part 4.  


I figured it was high time I posted about an actual sewing project rather than just blabbing on and on about the shop.  I do have more to say, specifically a lengthy "lessons learned" post, but I'll spare you all (for now).


I've taken a cue from Crazy Mom Quilts' small projects sew-along and decided to tackle my own list of small projects.  (because I'm certainly not going to finish a large project any time soon!)
Now that the sun is beginning to shine here in Oregon, I can start hanging clothes up to dry outside -  all that's been missing is a clothes-pin bag.  Previously...well you probably don't want to know what I've done previously... but I finally got my act together and stitched up a little bag in about the same amount of time that it took the washing machine to get through a load of whites. 
I raided my scrap bin for the log cabin front and straps, used a bit of polka-dot from stash on the back, and lined with muslin.  Rather than overthink the hanging, I took the easy route and used a child's skirt hanger I had floating around the laundry room.  In hindsight, I think using some batting and quilting the bag would help give it some structure, but overall I'm pretty happy with the results!




Here's a little side story - My grandmother had a wire and fabric contraption for her clothes pins that hooked over the clothes line and had a sort of hoop at the bottom that gave form to the bag.   I can remember, one summer when I was maybe 6?, 7? stuffing as many farm kittens as I could find in the bag and sending them for a ride down the line.  Yikes!  I don't remember exactly how it all went down, except I'm pretty sure they all survived relatively unscathed (myself included) and I didn't try it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment