Sunday, January 22, 2012

I spent today wrestling with my overflowing scrap bins (more on that later!) and then sewed up the first block of the Solstice Star Series - the Ribbon Star - before Downton Abbey started. I have no plans at this time to make anything with this block (or any of the other blocks in the series for that matter) but sometimes it's nice to sew just for the sake of sewing. I do love me a pretty star block, and Faith puts together great tutorials. Sewing individual blocks like this are the perfect way to practice skills and pick up a few new ones, as well as experiment with fabric combinations without the pressure or commitment of a larger project. Perfect for a lazy Sunday.

I expect it will grow up to be something special someday.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A little more information about the chair.

Actually, I don't have any information about the chair, but based on the style, I'm guessing it's from the 50s/60s. The upholstery appears to be original, although there was a skirt around the bottom that was removed at some point. Thankfully, Finn hasn't shown any interest, but Maizy, on the other hand, has to be watched like a hawk. (Seriously considering getting those "claw covers" for her. Maybe in Pink? or Blue Glitter?)

I found the chair at a vintage shop up the street and it was love at first sight. (I should add that I was NOT looking for a new chair.) It has replaced a 1960s George Malhauser Plycraft chair - an amazing garage sale find ($15!) when I first moved to Portland. I'm not getting rid of the Plycraft chair, but the tilt mechanism is cracked and it's a bit heart-attack inducing when unsuspecting guests sit down and find themselves tipped back nearly to the floor. For now, it's propped in the corner of the dining room, where it can't cause any harm, until I can figure out how to get it fixed - which most likely involves welding and a skill set that I clearly don't have.

P.S. The snow has all melted.


Sunday, January 8, 2012

I got the cats a new scratching post.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

I think I'm going to conveniently forget about a 2011 recap or even a 2012 "looking forward" post and just show off a little christmas sewing.

Someone in the house (not me :( ) got a Kindle for Christmas. Which needed a little case of course. I had to pretend I was making more potholders and then finished it up late Christmas Eve, just in time.

It's modeled after a sleeve I made for the ipad awhile back, with a few notable improvements: I added a pocket divider inside and an elastic closure to secure the flap. And put a bird on it.